I was shocked to read on Freebie Etiquette that a freebie/bargain hunter sat right next to the recent $1L gift being offered by Spirit and told people in open chat that they thought the item was ugly. What the %#&^ is the matter with you? I cannot believe someone would behave this way and I want to apologize to SavannahAnn McMillan for having someone do that to her.
So once again, here are some freebie etiquette tips to live by:
1. Do not whine to the designers about their freebies.
In other words, do not message them because their freebie is no longer available. Do not message them because they may have moved their freebie to a new locations. Do not message them demanding they give you a freebie.
2. Do not whine to the designers that the freebie is not your favorite color, style, etc.
This goes with #1. Do not message them that you do not like the color of the freebie. Don’t like the color, buy the item in the color you like. Do not message them that you do not like the bling/sounds/poofer/etc. Don’t like those items, don’t wear them.
3. If you don’t like the freebie, say thank you and move on with your life.
There is no need to dwell on a freebie that you do not like in some way. If you do not like it, delete it. Do NOT sit there by the freebie inside the designer’s store and whine to everyone who comes by in the public chat that you hate the freebie and think it is ugly. This behavior is rude, unprofessional, and downright disgusting. There is no point in complaining about something you just got for free.
4. Stop trying to ruin all the freebies and specials for the rest of us.
Every time you complain to the designers about their free items it makes the rest of us look bad and might prompt that designer not to give out freebies anymore. Do not complain about items you got for free.
5. Be grateful you got anything at all.
Designers are not obligated to give out freebies. They do so out of their own generosity so let’s be grateful to the designers. Say thank you especially if the designer is right there when you are picking up the item.
6. When complimented on your freebie wardrobe, thank the person and offer them the landmark for the store you got the item at. (Suggested by: Devilish Cupcake)
It is always nice to share. When someone tells you that your skin, hair, dress, shoes, etc looks great, offer them a landmark to the store that you got the item from.
7. When unpacking your boxes in a build area, do not be a litterbug. Pick back up or delete your empty box. Do not leave any object on land without the owner’s permission. (Suggested by: Lyselle Munro)
Each parcel can hold a certain number of prim and if you leaving you box lying around on someone’s land it is eating their prim. This is like virtually littering. Give a hoot, don’t pollute.
8. Do not resell your freebie. (Suggested by: Io)
It is unethical to resell your freebie. If the item is transferable and you do not want it anymore, pass it on to a needy newbie who may need the item.
Feel free to add anything to this list.